Saturday, June 5, 2010

You Never Know 'Til You Try Them

A couple of days ago I went on a self discovery mission on why I grew jalapeno peppers last year when I didn't like them and with that in mind, why would I have grown them again this year knowing my distaste.

But I grew them and got suggestions from you on what to do with them.
Oh. My. GOODNESS! They were so good.
This year, instead of planting them in every square, I only have two plants that I've checker boarded and even with less sun, the peppers are growing so much larger than the others ever dreamed of which made me think that your suggestions of stuffing them weren't such a bad idea. If nothing else, the man would eat them.

So, I picked these this afternoon. I suppose you can use the ichiban eggplant as reference to size.
I stuffed them with cream cheese and since I didn't have bacon or sausage to wrap it in, I chopped up some of the left over bratwurst from our Memorial Day cookout and baked it in the oven.
Were they ever good! They didn't taste peppery at all. There was a hint of heat but since it wasn't crunchy or leathery it was perfect. Just perfect. The rest of those buggers need to go ahead and grow already. I've amended my ways and not like jalapenos.
As long as they're slathered in cream cheese and sausage, that is.
The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.
Oh! And I sprayed the garden with the fish emulsion, so now the whole yard smells like a dirty aquarium tank and the flies have descended upon Mecca. I hope it's worth it. ;)

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! Those look very good. I too don't really like peppers, but seem to grow a bunch every year (go figure). Maybe I'll try stuffing them with good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man! Stuffed jalapeno's are one of my favorite!!!!! I'm so glad you've discovered the joy of peppers... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually going to take my own advise this year and try Jalapeno Poppers. But my main reason for growing them is still the hot pepper jelly, which is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like stuffed jalapenos too, but didn't grow any this year. I'm just not much of a pepper person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, yeah, stuffed with cream cheese, most things taste pretty terrific! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, those stuffed jalapenos look good! We use a lot of hot peppers around here. I pickle them, dry them and like Granny....make lots of hot pepper jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stuffed with cream cheese and then wrapped with bacon would have been better, but this chopped up sausage wasn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, we're not much jelly eaters here which stinks since that's the first stuff I learned how to can and have a bunch of it. The boy, however, is loving Granny's strawberry jam she sent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeaaaaahhhhhhh!!!! Arent' they good? It's pretty much the only reason I grow them. You can make them ahead also, freeze them on cookie sheets for about an hour and dump them into ziploc baggies in the freezer, voila, instant bar food in the middle of winter! Extra yummy and unhealthy if you top them after coming out of the oven with crushed Fried Onions, yum! Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know... most things are much improved by both the addition of cream cheese and bacon! HA!

    I love sweet peppers roasted - the fire cooking adds a lovely smokey sweet taste to them and there is nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hot pepper jelly isn't something you'd want to serve on your toast for breakfast, but a sweet spicy spread for crackers (like those Townhouse butter crackers or Ritz) as a snack. I think it's an acquired taste, like it is for jalapeno peanut brittle. The more you eat, the more you crave ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a jalapeno plant for the first time this year, and hoping it'll produce more than enough for my salsa addiction, but I wasn't quite sure what else to do with them. Saving this for later in the season... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so pleased that you gave the Jalapeno another chance. I enjoy eating them them pickled and then griddled in a panini with mozzarella. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to give this a try! It sounds really yummy. I was afraid that I had planted two many this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't forget you can always batter and fry the poppers, too. Yum.

    ReplyDelete