Monday, June 21, 2010

Dinner, Breakfast and Dinner Again Among Friends

Saturday night the boy, girl and I went down to the neighbor's house to give their daughter a present from the girl and promptly wound up staying for dinner. It wasn't our intention to stay, and the man was out running sound for a wedding so he wasn't around, but they were having a low country boil and you don't turn down a low country boil and beer, especially when it's someone else doing the preparation and cleaning. You just don't.

The meal and companionship was fantastic, the children played their hearts out, and they were kind enough to fix the man a plate for me to bring home. Sunday morning we had the sausage and shrimp in eggs with zucchini salsa and there was enough left for tonight to make a creamed sherry sauce with the shrimp and sausage and then mushrooms and onions, garlic, squash and greenbeans from the garden. It was a bit of an odd bucket of food to throw together, but the spicy meat was the perfect compliment to the sweet sherry sauce.
Thank you, Jesse and Caroline!

Speaking of friends, I found this here creature in the garden this evening. Here's his front view:
And here's his side view:
I have no idea whether he's friend or foe, but I'm not sharing my low country boil leftovers with him regardless. No way. No how.
The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.
Check Spelling

17 comments:

  1. That looks really yummy! I'll have to google "low country boil".

    Can't help you on the buggy...I usually assume it's a foe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A country boil sounds wonderful!!!!

    Never seen such a buggy creature... hmmm...

    Found my very first ladybug tonight! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Low country boil is where you take your turkey fryer and pile up some spicy sausage, red potatoes, corn on the cobb, and your choice of shrimp, crabs, crawfish, oysters or all four and stick it to boil with a ton of crab boil seasoning. It's that easy.

    The way to do it right is to line your table with newspapers and just dump the stuff out on the table and let everyone pick out what they want. No forks, knives, plates or napkins. You've got the newspaper right there. Clean up is a breeze. It's perfect coastal GA fare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd leave a comment, but Ribbit won't let me out of my cage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny, you were never in the cage....That I saw, anyway. Actually, you weren't anywhere around, but Mr. Granny knew enough to know you were upset with him wherever you were. Let's pretend you were at a resort with a handsome cabana boy and a fruity beverage with an umbrella. It's my dream. I can make up whatever I want.

    And I gave you a water bowl and company. Now if I didn't give you the water bowl, then you may well be cross. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make it two cabana boys, and I'll consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing your bug is a firefly. It looks a bit different than the ones we get around here, but close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deal, Granny.

    Daphne, they don't look like the fireflies we have either. It was just such an odd bug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool bug! But I think all bugs are kind of cool as long as it's not in cockroach family! Mmmmm, enjoy those low country boils while we still can, huh?! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Low country boil looks really good, especially when you don't have to cook it yourself!

    That beetle might have wanted just a wee bit of the boil, google "necrophilia americana" if you want to learn more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's him, Michelle!!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my interest was definitely piqued when you named the beetle.... cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was afraid to google it at first, myself, Erin! I was nervous about what other images would spring up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, EG and Granny...don't go getting your feelings hurt because you don't have absolutely fantabulous dreams like mine. Not everyone can be perfect. ;) HA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ribbit,
    I have tomatoes starting to turn RED! Yeah! Just had to add some lime, though, to see if I can slow down some of that blossom rot (I think that is what you call it).
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blossom end rot, yes. I've heard it's because of a lack of calcium or odd ball watering where they starve and then drown. I've had some plants with it and some plants without it right next to each other. It's a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful tomato!! ANd you're right, that IS a weird looking bug. I'm seeing bugs this year I've never seen before either.

    ReplyDelete