Friday, June 18, 2010

The Consipiracy Is Alive and Well

The conspiracy of the vegetable gods is well doccumented here and here. Just because it is a new year does not mean that the conspirators in the vegetable world have fallen off their game. Oh no. They are far too slick and they're up to their old tricks for this is the garden:

Beautiful Tomatoes
Crisp Cucumbers

And the lettuce.
Maybe I just need to redefine my idea of salads. I picked five more zucchini today....maybe I could just use those as lettuce....you know...it would work!! We also ate the first little crookneck squash. Perhaps the veggie gods know what they're doing after all.

9 comments:

  1. Wow... ripe tomatoes... I bet they tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I am, picking the loveliest lettuces I've ever picked, and no tomatoes. The garden gods hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raw zucchini salad would be nice. And yes, the garden gods think lettuce is for cool weather and tomatoes for hot weather, thus they might approve of your zucchini idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ripe tomatoes....yummy!! I always want the nice spring lettuce with the tomatoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha...I try to stick to heirloom varieties but sometime you just need a bolt resistant hybrid. I'm gonna be testing a couple varieties this year.

    Just slap some mozzerella on top of those cukes and tomatoes and I'm sure you won't be missing that darn lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What variety of tomato are those? They look like a hybrid of some kind...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I can relate! Maybe we could use grape leaves as lettuce, or tree leaves for that matter? LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  8. EG, the yellow ones are yellow pear. The red are supposed to be beefsteak....which they're so not. They don't taste much of anything and are rather more of a glorified cherry variety. Oh well. Now, if only the CP would hurry up and ripen all will be well with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ISO a hot weather lettuce too. It just bolts so fast in the summer...

    ReplyDelete