Saturday, June 12, 2010

Move Over. I'm Crowded...We've Got to Make Room For KA-Jamas!

Awhile ago, I posted that the new birds kicked out the old nests and proceeded to build their own. Now the little birdies are so large they can hardly fit in the nest. I'm thinking that they'll be out of the nest within the week.
Look at the momma giving us stink-eye. She sits on the windowsill and just stares at us and if we hazard to use the front door, she and her mate scream bloody murder and closely circle us. I'm afraid one of them will fly in the house. In other news, my neighbor built himself a garden this year and I went to take pictures of it yesterday. It's doing so well and he has squash the size of baseball bats. I started his and mine at the same time and it makes me curious as to why mine entire plants aren't bigger than a dinner plate. I took this far away picture, but when I got up close to take more, I noticed they had one of the most impressive squash bug infestations I'd ever seen. The bugs had run out of real estate on the bottom of leaves and had moved to the top of the leaves and the eggplant. Nymphs were crawling everywhere. We did what we could to get rid of everything, but there's no way we got all of the eggs. The did their garden on a slope and honestly, it's just beautiful!
Granny posted today about the funny things her granddaughter said and it reminded me of the film I made of the girl. She can't say, "pajamas" to save her life. She honestly can't hear the difference. We wound up in a shouting match a week ago where she finally grabbed my face between her two hands and yelled, "puh-ka-JAMAS!" She's hard to hear in the film, but it sure is funny.

11 comments:

  1. Love the birdies! Which squash have the bugs- yours or the neighbor's??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, it's the neighbor's yard with the squash bugs, but I expect now that we've treated their plants that they'll come running for their lives over to me and meet death in a cup of soapy water. I'm going to have to be watchful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That slope garden is beautiful. I hope those bugs don't migrate over to your yard. The only other person who gardens on my street is 2 houses down from me and I decided to introduce myself last year and brought a gift of all the extra planting potatoes I had and he said thanks, but he won't grow them anymore because of all the bugs. I can't figure it out since I haven't had but 2 or 3 potato beetles in the past 3 years. He does grow lots of squash however, and they squash bugs are intense here. Maybe he just doesn't like potatoes and he was being nice? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the video! Very persistent girl! Enjoy it while it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean they're NOT puhkajamas?

    Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the cute video. My son had problems with certain letters when little...It sounds like your neighbor needs to buy a plane ticket for "EG, the squashbug conquerer" from HSV to ATL...heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a full house. They are so cute. Love the slope raised beds.What a wonderful idea to use the space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EG, I'd pay good, good money to see you out there. You would be happier than a dead hog in the sunshine.

    HHG, They really did a good job and that hill gets full sun all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny. Definitely something to show on her wedding day.

    I wish I had a neighbor that gardened...It would be nice compare and chit chat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved seeing our garden in your blog! The boys thought it was cool! I have been gone all day, so I gave the garden no attention (and neither did the husband). I will check on that squash in the morning.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thomas, they're fantastic people! We couldn't ask for better neighbors. I need to do more comparing and chit chatting. I haven't made it over there as much as I'd like, but I drool daily as I go passed.

    HI SUSAN!!! I want to come and take more pictures, I really do. Honestly, with the infestation as it was, it may be one of those things where you get what you can out of the plant (And yours are producing amazingly well) and then just write it off to check the plants daily next year. Hope you guys keep coming by!

    ReplyDelete