Friday, June 4, 2010

A Garden Costume Party

My bush beans are having an identity crisis.

Here's the packaging. Note the word "bush."
Check out the vines. Certainly not "bush."
I know those were the correct seeds planted as it was the only package I brought down to the garden that day and it was sealed when I did. They're certainly beans, but either the wrong variety of seeds made it into the pouch or they're just incredibly over achieving. My bets on the first. So, if I let them sprawl on the ground will they do okay or should I put some posts up there for them to grow on. I've got lima beans behind them so I can't completely shade them out.
The morning comes early and I need to go get some of those fertilizers you all mentioned earlier. The tomatoes have stalled and the zucchini can't seem to support the vegetables as it's aborting the female flowers even before they open. That, and I haven't gotten squash, one, and the beans aren't flowering yet. We had such an early spring and summer that I was hoping that we'd be picking earlier this year, but it just seems like things are slow to mature this year. Perhaps a good douse of fertilizer is in order. Sweet gardening dreams.

12 comments:

  1. I was right...I just looked back and on June 10 of last year I already had many cucumbers, beans and tomatoes. I'm no where close this year. There's more sun now that the tree has come down....I'm betting on nutrients. Even though I added compost this year, I'm not thinking it added enough to the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think fertilizer gets applied too frequently in my garden, because you know how I like tinkering with it! Nitrate of soda for me.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd guest they are a bush bean. Some of them still vine a bit. I think there is a name for them but I can't recall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just looked back and on this date last year I was picking broccoli and beets, my squash plants were taking over the world and my tomatoes were 4' high and loaded with little green orbs. I'm nowhere near that this year, either.

    I think last year some of my bush beans did just what yours are doing. Of course, I can't find a photo when I need it. I vote for sprawling, but I'm rather adventurous. ;-)

    Why does that stupid word verification keep telling me my characters don't match? It's been doing that to me all day, and I double checked this time to make sure. It lies, I tell you. LIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My "Bush" beans last year grew to about three feet but no taller than that. I had to stake them. This year same thing.. they seem to be topping out at two to three feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How tall are your beans? It's hard to see in the picture. Bush beans can easily reach 3 feet if they are in an overachieving mode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planted bush and regular vining beans - there's not a big diff btwn them - the bush ones are merely bushier - LOL, but they do vine up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just gonna say, my bush beans were really leggy last year...there's a chance these still might be bush beans.

    I spent a lot of money on fertilizer and compost this year...I'm hoping to be a little more self sufficient next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a blogger conspiracy, Granny. Mine won't let me double space after I've loaded pictures in.

    I just bought the fish emulsion, but it's sopping wet out there aleady from days upon days of rain, so I'm supposing I'm going to have to hold out on it, right? or should I go ahead and just jump on it even though the soil is soaked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think some bush beans vine a little bit. I seem to remember reading a post on the gardenweb forums where someone suspected their bush beans as being mislabeled and ran out to purchase poles for them, got the poles all into place, then the beans stopped growing. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My flip side is that I ordered the Dragon beans in a "pole" variety this year and erected pretty bamboo supports for them to climb, yeah... NOT POLE beans, LOL, just bush!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I planted what were supposed to be soybeans, and they are growing up to look a lot like peas of some sort.

    In fact, I'm tempted to take the seed packet and dig up one of the plants to bring back to the gardening store where I bought them!

    ReplyDelete