Friday, September 3, 2010

Did I Mention I Grew Sweet Potatoes....

Last year!?


We ate the two largest sweet potatoes, but the little finger sized ones got put in a box in the basement...why? Who knows, but they're still there.....

And reaching for the sky. Wonder if I let them go if I could make slips from them next year or if this is all just craziness. Thomas, see, this is why you wouldn't want all of those extra potatoes hanging around. ;)

The high school's first school newspaper came out today, which is always a big occasion. It was doubly exciting for me since they ran an article about the keychain project: Dare I say this is my 15 minutes of fame? How wonderful would it be if the parents and community get a hold of it and help support our Relay for Life team. I'm also hopeful to set up some booths at local elementary school fall festivals. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The morning comes early. Sweet basement potato growing dreams.

9 comments:

  1. That's wonderful! Just get a couple of those trendsetters to wear them and you'll have to quit your day job LOL! Hope you raise lots of funds for that wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! You're probably gonna get the "teacher of the year" award for that. Also, those slips are just unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic.

    I'm so jealous of your sweet potatoes. If I only knew we had a real summer forecast for next year, I'd try it. Maybe under black plastic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    EG, no, not for that; actually, I was nominated this year, but I turned it down.

    Give it a shot Stefaneener! You'll never know until you try. What about doing them in dark pots to retain some heat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Ribbit....I see your point now. ;) You can only eat too many blue potatoes right?

    How long have you had these before they started to sprout? I think what we both need is a root cellar that will make things last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thomas, I pulled them out of the ground in September.....LAST September! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the article. Wow, look at those sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article, but why did you turn down the "teacher of the year award"? I know it would be well deserved. Love the fall festival booth idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not something that's important to me. I do what I do because I need to and I love it, not for recognition.

    At the same time, there are others who were nominated that really wanted it and deserved it as well. We've got some phenominal teachers at our school.

    ReplyDelete