Saturday, April 17, 2010

Helicopters, Snot and Worms

It's the grumble, grumble edition of TCY, I'm afraid.

Last year, since it was the first year of the garden, I had perfect soil and no weeds at all. This year, weeds have blown in, and acorns and pine trees that have taken root. Now there are little helicopter seed pods rooting everywhere and the snot is pouring off of the pine and oak trees. Each sting of snot is invariably ridden down by an inch worm. I can't tell you how many I squished out of the garden today. As a matter of fact, when I was making my point known to the kids, sure enough another string of snot landed on my head along with, what else?, another inch worm.

I'm on edge as to the army that's obviously parachuted down to ransack the garden. I only hope I grabbed the majority of them and I'll find the rest tomorrow.

On the bright side, I've had 100% germination with my cucumbers, squash and zucchini and the radishes and lettuce are producing like mad. Woohoo!

The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

13 comments:

  1. Whew, I thought it was going to be a post about terrorists and sick kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got lots of the same issues, minus the snot/worms. The helicopter seed pods are flying all around my yard. I'm just hoping they'll all drop in the next week, so that I can RAKE them out! Good luck keeping up with it, and congrats on the germination rates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That was my first thought, too. It's always something, isn't it? Good luck in your battles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weeds seeds are gonna blow in - it's just how it is. My nemesis is seeds from the mimosa trees blowing in and germinating. You just have to be vigilant in plucking them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helicopters are out of control here too! No snot that I noticed yet, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seeing the same thing with the weeds. Last year, the 1st year of the garden, hardly any weeds. This year, lots of them. I'm also seeing a lot of little tomato plants -- presumably from the seeds of the rotten tomatoes I was too lazy to remove from the beds last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I'm being inundated by those helicopter seed things too. Also, one downside to using straw as a mulch are the stray seeds that end up germinating. Luckily, they are easy enough to pull up.

    Thanks for reminding me...I have to sow my zucchini as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That doggon helicopter seeds are getting on my nerves. They're all OVER the yard and in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garden never lets you rest, does it! Glad to hear your seeds are germinating and hope you harvest them this summer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the weeding- constant battle- I know you'll come out ahead in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to figure out how to work tree snot and worms into the tune of raindrops keep falling on my head. Tree snot keeps falling on my head, sure wish those worms would drop dead, and those seeds, bad deeds, keep growing where they laaaaaaand, oh, tree snot stop falling on my head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if the chickens would eat them up for you. Whining is totally acceptabel.

    ReplyDelete