Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Aftermath

A barrage of fierce storms rolled through all day yesterday. Thank goodness, none of the storms here were as fierce as they were in Mississippi, but we did have our fair share of wind. The broccoli suffered the most of the damage. Seems like all of them have flopped over. I'm hopeful they'll stand themselves upright again when the sun comes out the the soil dries a bit.
Other than that, things have been progressing steadily. The early warm spring weather was a boon for the summer crops and the tomatoes even have flowers already, but it's wreaked havoc with the early spring crops. The onions, radishes and Chinese cabbage have all bolted, making me sad and I'm only hopeful that the broccoli and cabbage can withstand the warm temperatures. It got up to 89 on Friday!

The Gonzalez cabbages are doing a good job of sticking to their square, but if I try them again in the fall, I may just stagger them like the broccoli since they're only now starting to grow heads which, again, has me nervous about bolting.

Last night, in the midst of all of the terrible weather, was our school's prom. The kids all looked so nice. The frufru dresses seem to be a thing of the past and now the silken negligee type dress is in as well as the I'm-so-short-you-can-see-the-crease-between-my-tuchus-and-thigh dress, but it's amazing how the clothes make the kid, for every one of them was saying yes or no Ma'am all night long. They really had a good time and none of them showed up on the county mugshot page this morning, so I'm hopeful they all got home safely.

11 comments:

  1. Glad everything went well for prom! I hope the sun comes out and dries everything up so your plants will stand tall again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only 1 twister came relatively close to us, which was north by about 25 miles. I think you'll be surprised at the cabbage, because it can take a good amount of heat before bolting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always hold my breath when the brassicas begin flopping over, whether it be from wind or whatever. I had a couple last year that just flopped and never got back up, but it was something attacking the roots. I think yours should perk right back up. Isn't it odd how their stems are so weak, yet they develop such a big, strong plant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got by relatively unscathed; was thinking about you and EG when I heard the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the storms weren't too awful there. I'd much rather have our snow than what hit Mississippi. A couple of schools were supposed to have prom this weekend but were cancelled because of the snow. What a bummer for them, hopefully they'll reschedule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The storms blew out electricity out for almost a minute lol. Everything I had outside did well though. The strawberry leaves, which are pretty big, were droopy at first this morning then the sun perked them up. Great-looking broccoli! I still haven't grown any successfully :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your broccoli is HUGE compared to mine...one of the perks of living in a warmer climate. :) Your cabbages look good to. I beginning to see those evil white butterflies in the garden. Hopefully they won't put a million holes in my greens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your broccoli look excellent even flopped over! They shouldn't give you any bolting problem. They may have to be picked quickly once they start to flower though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh poor floppy broccoli! Hope they've perked up bit now. Still all your plants seem so big compared to ours! Maybe you can shade some of the earlier spring plants to keep them from bolting?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would try propping the broccoli up while it dries out. Mine got pushed over last year by some aggressive tomatoes. I moved the tomatoes vines but didn't stake up the broccoli. The broccoli just turned its top up and left the rest laying down.

    That is some fine looking broccoli by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Manners says that everyone has a secret belief that they look cute dressed up, so maybe the manners came from that. I'm not sure if I like hoochie mama dresses better than the horrifying ruffle-front tuxes of the 70s, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete