Thursday, April 8, 2010

Growing Potatoes in Containers

This year I gave in to the peer pressure to grow potatoes. Everyone's potatoes always look so beautiful in their posts and the taste reviews were fantastic. Apparently, just like a tomato, there's nothing like a home grown potato.

I didn't have room in the SFG to put the potatoes and I kept finding links to growing potatoes in containers, so I decided to give it a try. I put a little soil at the bottom of each pot along with a part of a seed potato and tilted the pots to get the sun way down in there. It seemed to take forever for anything to happen, but once it did, there was no holding those plants back! Once they got about six inches high, it was time to hill them.
I actually did this one plant two days ago and had to hill it and the others again today. I'm in awe of how fast they're growing. They're almost to where I can stand the pots upright and not have to lean them.
Now, grow me them taters!
The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.


9 comments:

  1. Go potatoes! They do grow like gangbusters once they get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is great! You will have potatoes in no time! According to the timetable that is set for most potatoes, you should be able to harvest them come July? I think that's right. Woohoo! You make me want to plant mine LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I'm growing mine this year too. I'm really hopeful that it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got nine 30 gallon pots planted with potatoes as well as one of my raised beds. I'm trying to grow as much calorie dense food as I can; lettuce is great but it isn't exactly filling for little kids!

    Here's to hoping we both get bumper crops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got nuthin'.... :-( I guess I should have leaned my containers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some taters growing in my SFG. I have no clue if I'm hilling them right or what to expect, or when to stop hilling them... but as it stands i have SOMETHING growing there, so we'll see how it turns out!

    GL with yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my top favourite things to eat on my veggie patch is the very first, early new potatoes! Well worth all the effort - you will see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that I'm not the only one trying this experiment. I only planted one pot but it looks just like your picture! Thanks for the inspiration....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, Nancy. I hope they work for us both!

    ReplyDelete