Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Determination and Sacrifice

I'm determined to grow carrots this spring. Last spring, they were a total failure and I can't decide if it was because I didn't leave them in the ground long enough or if it got too hot too quickly. During the fall, I had greater success, but I'm eager to prove they can be done this spring as well....that is if they don't bolt like the rest of my onions and all of my red meat radishes did today. *sigh*

Then, I took everyone's advice to heart and thinned out the sweet potatoes in the pots to only two slips per pot. I originally put the others in the main garden, but realized that if I was going to let those carrots grow until they either worked or bolted, I was going to have no where to put my melons. So, I sacrificed the slips and they came out again. I emailed a co-worker today who said she'd love to plant them ASAP. I'm sure they'll be totally stressed after being planted and uprooted three times, but hopefully they'll bounce.

That brings me to another statement, and I don't think it's a complaint. I'm working on the word 'statement.' Monday, I took my surplus tomato seedlings and put them in the faculty mail room. Within three minutes of my school wide email about their availability, my box was returned to me empty. I was thrilled that others would want them. However, I don't know who is going to plant them since no one sent a thank you, which wasn't really necessary and I didn't even think about it until I started getting emails back stating that they were gone, and I didn't have enough, etc. I'm grateful that people would grow them if I started them and I may consider doing some more, and I intended to give them away so I'm not upset by the lack of thank yous, so I don't quite know what I am. Consternated, maybe, that the only ones to respond were ones with mild, although appreciative, rebukes? Eh...maybe I'm not quite sure I am anything at all. I'm most likely just being a girl and over analyzing as is my God given right for being a woman. Just makes me realize I need to vocalize my thanks more, even for the smallest things. It's something I was apparently needing to learn.

The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

11 comments:

  1. Granddaughter Alicia would say "How rude!", and I'd have to agree. I'd think twice before offering any again. Or maybe next time, have people sign up for them on a first come, first serve basis. That way you'd know who got them, and if they didn't say "thanks" they'd get crossed off the list foreverandeveramen.

    I hope they're all reading your blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they shouldn't be, and my intent wasn't to shame, but to work things out with myself. I do have one dear friend who emailed me to hold one for her and I didn't get back down there in time. She'll be the first to get one from the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel, every year I grow extras for my annual "seed swap party", and it seems I am the only one who has any, and I have already received emails "verifying" that I will have tomatoes this year... it is expected apparently... maybe next year I will charge for them! Or at the very least have a donation can out at the party for a good cause. It seems the most profuse thankers are the other gardeners, since they know the value of a tomato raised from seed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Ribbit, it is too bad no one said "thanks!", when they clearly were very excited to grab a tomato plant. I totally get what you are feeling- not *expecting* a thank-you, but it is just the polite thing to do and if you had hear a few you wouldn't have even noticed a lack of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would have been a little hurt too. It seems the only feedback you received from your generosity was negative...you didn't have enough to go around.

    I hope those who were able to benefit from your surplus seedlings remember your generosity when they are eating the fruit from the tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine taking someone's tomato plant and not saying thanks. In fact, I would probably go to you tomato seedling in havd and say how excited I was to be growing it.
    I have a feeling one person may have taken the whole lot and is embarrassed to admit it. If I were you, I'd be "pissed".

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I'm not upset. I'm not pissed and I never, ever even thought to receive a thank you, but it only came to my mind when I got the negative responses. Eh, it is what it is. I'm still going to put my next batch out and tomorrow I'll bring all of my bolting onions since I can't use them all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Expressing gratitude is almost never a bad idea. Good luck with all the moving about. I wish I had sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been giving away surplus vegetables for 53 years and have not received one thank you. Come this summer, guess what, I will be giving away more. John

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say very rude- especially since you sent out an email and all they had to do was hit "reply". Just know your children will not grow up to be like those who didn't say thanks- and that hopefully your veggies will help others be a little healthier :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's a "thank you" on behalf of those who weren't aware that you would have liked one. I say communication is a great thing, and the next time you send out an email announcing a plant giveaway, let them know that you'd appreciate hearing from those who accepted your gift. Because gifts deserve thank yous.

    ReplyDelete