Monday, December 21, 2009

Harvest Monday?

Well, maybe not a 'harvest,' but it was marginally profitable.
I tore all of the remaining broccoli, lettuce and chard from the garden yesterday and found 21 cents in the soil. It must have fallen out of my pocket when I was planting or tending the garden some time during the year. I pulled a few 2-3 inch broccoli heads and two kohlrabi bulbs as well.

I looked back at the blog and realized I expanded the corner yard from 2 3x3's to what it is today on December 2 of last year. I can't believe the real foray into Square Foot Gardening took place only a year ago. Now that I'm on vacation, I'm planning on making high rises for my six inch beds in the other corner yard. Six inches just isn't deep enough, or so I found out. I raised my beginning 3x3's last December as well and anchored them together on all four sides with additional wood slats. I'll do the same for the two six inch 3x3's in the other corner yard.

I'm also debating on raising my 8 inch bed behind those two six inch beds so they don't get shaded out, but that bed's 4x8 and I'm afraid a high rise won't sit evenly on it even if I anchor the two together. EG....chime in any time! :)

11 comments:

  1. MONEY????? That's it.... I am definitely moving into your zone! I can't get money to grow in my zone, though I have tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA, Erin! I never thought of it as growing money. Gosh, I always thought that stuff grew on trees, not in gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought money grew on trees not in the soil. Maybe that is my problem. I've been looking in the wrong spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also debating on raising my 8 inch bed behind those two six inch beds so they don't get shaded out, but that bed's 4x8 and I'm afraid a high rise won't sit evenly on it even if I anchor the two together.

    Got a picture of it? You know i'll help ya on it!

    Ha! my verification word is "cahole". You don't know how happy that c in front makes me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only you could plant a few coins and grow money plants! Guess your's didn't germinate... Maybe you didn't fertilize properly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, everyone says gardening is thrifty! You seem to have jumped straight to the "growing money" part.

    I've always wondered about Mel's claims that 6" is perfectly deep. It doesn't jibe with my observations. I worry my 12" isn't deep enough, even with the sand underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You probably only dropped a nickle and it grew into 21 cents.

    I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All my beds are 4x8 and I have six of them double stacked-no problems through this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, EG, I was just a bit worried about stacking them six months after the first went in. I was worried about them sitting straight, but I suppose if I add more posts to anchor them together, every 2 ft or so, I think even if they're askew, I can manhandle them into place.

    Michelle! I love the germination comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hilarious. I will admit that I love harvesting the odd coin from the street. I'm considering raising my beds this summer as well. Though looking at the carrot that you grew, I wouldn't think that you had to raise yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thomas, that carrot was from the original corner yard. those are 12 inches and perfect! These beds I'm talking about were from my expansion in June to the other corner yard. I made them shorter to save a bit of cash on the wood, and shouldn't have skimped.

    ReplyDelete