Sunday, December 6, 2009

Case Closed: Jack Frost Found Alive

I harvested as much as I could yesterday, but still left the cabbage, some lettuce, and several small heads of broccoli out to weather the freezes of the next few days. I suppose I can't complain. December 6 is sure a good long while into winter to experience a first frost/freeze. The broccoli was sagging under the weight of the frost this morning.

It didn't come through so well, but the frost was also along the deck railing. It looked pretty sparkling in the sun.

The garlic in the SFG and in the pot sprouted larger than I thought it should have before the onset of winter, but I think everything will do fine in the long run.

November was VERY mild here and December is looking to be much the same. Winter-winter doesn't hit here until January/February. February can be brutal. Actually, some of the coldest weather we get can be in March. However, in three-four months we can start serious planting again. Just enough time to go salivate through seed catalogues....now if mine would just start coming in the mail, I'll be a happy girl.

Stay toasty-warm out there.

7 comments:

  1. Your garlic should be fine, we are much further north and I always get some good growth on the garlic, onions and leeks before winter sets in. Hope your other veggies withstand the frost! And, here too, we have had an unusually seasonable fall so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My garlic isn't even up yet and we are going to be frozen solid this coming week. Last year I had the supermarket variety up very early, but nothing else. They all survived. I don't think garlic cares all that much about cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! It won't be long until we're starting tomato seeds again. It got down to 19 here last night, and I had to bring the broccoli plants in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't found the garlic love yet, but I'm intrigued by it. I find it interesting that some plants can live through winter like that... especially the ones who make it through a hard freeze and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our first freeze/frost arrived pretty much at the same time as yours (maybe a day or two earlier) and it finished off the semi hardy items.

    I expect your garlic will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been next to your state in S.Carolina the past week, and gotta say-you're very very lucky to have such warm weather so late in the year. My garden was trash three months ago. I've been driving around just amazed at the gardens I've been seeing (that and the BEAUTIFUL southern accents-I swear the women down here are soooo elegant) What an amazing place!! Lucky you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we looked at frost in Tennessee, I told Denise, "Soon, we'll be starting tomatoes!" Hard to believe, but now I'm just glad for the fall stuff. I'm going to cover my tender plants soon, but not the winter varietes. I hope you keep getting something for a longer bit.

    ReplyDelete