Friday, April 29, 2011

Mid April Garden

First, the overview I promised. Actually, things are a lot more developed in just a few days in the squash/zucchini area and depleted in the lettuce and spinach areas due to a neighbor whom I caught pilfering my garden this afternoon. BUSTED!!! ;) All of those females opened with no males in sight. It's really rather odd. Could it be my soil mix? Do I need to fertilize more/less? Take a second and compare this to the April 1 garden. Awesome!!


I'm having a huge, HUGE problem with my beds splitting. This one is obviously splitting with a weed/grass growing from it, but I've got the side tomato box and the far horseradish box in this picture almost falling apart. It's conviction to build these with two inch and not one inch boxes.
Here's the horseradish box that's falling apart. Really trying to decide if I should try to salvage all of this or just rebuild with 2 inch boards....I just don't want to empty and refill. Last year I had such great success with cabbage. This year, it's all been fodder for cabbage worms. I don't have a single viable plant left. I haven't used BT, ever. Does it deter the worms or only kill them once they're there? That would make a big difference on if I try them in the fall again


Potatoes, both the regular - here in the pots - and the girl's purple ones are doing great. I'm really excited about these after having the potatoes last year. My problem is pulling them too soon because I'm impatient.

One if my garlic beds is still looking puny in comparison to the other, but this one seems to be growing an alien. I suppose it split down there somewhere. I never can remember - when DO I pull garlic?
And because I'm just so excited and I can't remember if I posted these or not, here are some Class of 2011 keychains that we're starting to sell to support my school's Relay for Life team. It's a pretty poor picture, but they say 2011. They make me smile.Well, garden fans, that's it. Hope I didn't overload you too much. If you can believe it, I took these pictures Tuesday and the plants look so much larger even today. Grow baby grow...male squash flowers if I can put in a request, please.


The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

16 comments:

  1. What a difference a couple of weeks made! Maybe there is hope for my garden yet, as it's supposed to finally hit the low 70s by next week. I'm not holding my breath though, as the weather man keeps telling me lies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to the home improvement store and purchased pieces of metal that already had holes in them. They were about 6-8 inches long and straight. We bent them to a 90 degree angle and screwed them to the outside corners of the bed to help keep them from coming apart. It worked. That way you wouldn't have to take them apart. The strips were in the roofing area and were not expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice seeing so much green growing. But I find I would like to know more about "...depleted in the lettuce and spinach areas due to a neighbor whom I caught pilfering my garden"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny, it was cool here this morning, but we should have some pretty stellar weather coming our way this weekend. I can't wait to get the kids outside.

    Peggi - that's a great idea! I don't know how I'd bend the pipe, though. I have some L brackets on some of the other beds, but the wood is splitting in half and folding over the bracket itself in places. I'm headed to the store today to see what I can do.

    GM - HA! She knows she can come in whenever she wants to get the onions, lettuce, spinach and herbs. She's done it a few times this season, but I've never 'caught her in the act.' However, Friday I came home from school and found her crossing my yard. I caught her red handed!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I assumed the worst and thought that your neighbor was harvesting without your permission :) It is nice of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm anxious to know about the blossoms, too! My pumpkins always have this problem, but I'm new to growing them I guess I need to do some research too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used corner brackets to put my beds together. That way the screws holding it all together have the force going to the side instead of out. All it takes is a small bit of rot if you use screws going straight in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ribbit - we can fix those boxes up like new - just let me know....

    ReplyDelete
  9. THanks, Jeffrey, but we shored them up this morning. Some were so bad that if we touched them they would fall apart, so I'll be replacing them next year, but others we took a come-along and man handled them back into shape and used brackets.

    Daphne, you're right. I should have put them together with brackets all along. It's only my 1X boxes that are struggling. My 2x are doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ribbit - this is EG, i'm just logged in to a different account. Check your email....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered if that was you, EG! It would be a strange post coming from anyone else.

    Got your email and it's FANTASTIC! I sent a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've used Dipel dust and it has worked great for me in the past to keep the caterpillars and worms from doing too much damage. You still end up with a few holes but not anythings severe enough to destroy an entire crop. The only annoying thing is that you have to constantly reapply every week and after it rains. The thinnest row cover you could find is probably a better option but I hate having to take it on and off everything I water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bt kills the caterpillars when it's ingested by them. It's not actually a poison, but a disease that affects only the larval form of moths and butterflies. The only form of deterrant I've ever found is floating row cover placed over the plants to keep the moths from laying their eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you tell me what kind of wood you used to build your beds. I was considering 2x12 cedar, but yours looks like pine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deltha, most are 2X10 treated pine. It's my beds that are one inch thick that are falling apart. My 2 inch boards are fantastic. I found that six inches just isn't deep enough, but to fill 12 would be overkill. 10 inches seems to be the magic number for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking good! I wish I lived in a warmer climate this year. Usually I have lots plant by this time of year, not the case this spring.

    ReplyDelete