Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kohlrabi Is as Ready as It Ever Will Be.

I know they're not large, but they're as big as any I've seen in the grocery store recently, and I'm not thinking they'll be destined to grow much larger based on the crowded conditions. I really planted too many of them too close together.

I went back and looked at Dan's old posts on his kohlrabi and he says he uses them in slaw and they have a nice, almost radish like taste...so...Could I serve them sliced and then raw with bit of ranch dressing?
I have a HUGE fear of the cheese grater or any grater for that matter. I sliced off almost an entire knuckle once and don't relish doing it again. If I could slice them and serve them raw, they'd go good with a raw veggie tray for Thanksgiving.
Sound plausible?

6 comments:

  1. I could see bringing one of those from the garden to Thanksgiving dinner. Nobody would know what it was, or what to do with it. They look weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can eat them raw or cooked. I found when I grated them they went kind of mushy. If you want to make a slaw out of them you could cut them up into match sticks with a knife and then add your dressing like a cabbage slaw. In salads I cut them really thin and I liked them that way the most. They taste kind of like broccoli stems, really mild. You can also cube them and boil until tender then top with butter and S&P. Be brave before you taste them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a second now, Dan. I grew these buggers because you raved about them and now you tell me to be brave!? It can't be like crunching into a cockroach, can it!? :)

    I'll spend the night getting my brave up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! EG. I suppose it depends on how much I enjoy having the supper at my house. If I put something funky on the table, maybe no one will come back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband LOVES kohlrabi-and he eats them sliced raw. They're kind of like a mild radish. He loves em!
    I've never grown the purple hued ones....very pretty!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking kohlrabi, Ribbit! Wishing you and your family a joyous Thanksgiving!

    Love,
    Thomas, Marc and Jonathan

    ReplyDelete