Monday, November 30, 2009

Harvest Monday AND Garden Blogger's Death Day

How coincidental is it that harvest Monday falls on the same day as this month's Garden Blogger's Death Day.

Let's start with the life: While watching the man cut down the tree yesterday, I got a little hungry, so I went to the garden for a snack and pulled out a carrot.

I can officially say that I can grow carrots. This thing was a monster and fed both me and the man. Look how the end is bowed from where it reached the bottom of the bed and ran into the hard ground. We didn't even have to peel it. I just washed it in the spigot and it was good to go!

As for the death, they're not technically 'dead' yet, but the cayenne and banana peppers in the pots on the front walk have got to go this week. We never ate the banana peppers like we should have and I have more cayenne peppers than I know what to do with, being that I've never used a cayenne pepper in my life. I've dried them, hung them, and stored them....now they sit. They sure are pretty, however.

So, enjoy this iconic day, for the harvest is the soul of the garden that death can delay or take away , but never diminish its wonder.

The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! that's a big carrot. I'm gonna try some in containers next year, as it's definitely worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EG, I've never...NEVER been able to grow carrots before. Somehow, this fall things just clicked. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great looking carrot. What type is it and when did you plant the seeds? I'm not having any luck with carrots. I'm trying again this full as well. The tops look great but still on the small side. This could also be due to lack of sun and I may have planted them too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one sweet carrot! You've gone pro now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liisa, I don't remember the kind, but I can look it up when I get home today. I planted them sometime in August, so they've been in the ground a good, stinkin, long while. That, and it's been super warm. I think I've just been planting my spring carrots too early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, if now I could only get enough to take a picture of a 'bunch', I'd be a happy gal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is kind of amusing to put them in the same post. Life an death. Can't have one without the other. Your carrot looks huge. Good job! Now I have to get me some of those huge carrots. Mine don't get nearly so big.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is definitely one heck of a carrot! Yours puts mine to shame! Congrats, Ribbit.

    ReplyDelete