I've only had a few other experience with making plant tags. I used popsicle sticks and sharpie marker, but the marker ran so quickly that the names soon became indistinguishable. The next thing I tried to do was write the names on the side of the containers, but that's now become a scribbled mess from year to year.
This year, I thought to try an idea posed by EG, I believe. He mentioned to fold tin foil and write the name in with a pen. That way, if the pen ink ran, the plant labels could still be read because of the indentation made when you wrote the name to begin with.
They were incredibly easy to make, and I bet if I grow the same variety next year I could use them again, and he's right. I ran one under water long enough to get the ink off and I could still see very clearly what tomato variety it was.
That being said, I transplanted three of the bigger tomatoes yesterday - it's all I had soil for; I need to buy some more today, but they've seemed to explode now that they're in larger pots and that's only after one day! It's fantastic.
Yesterday was beautiful here, today is rainy. I hope you got at least one good gardening day in yourselves.
January 27, 2015 - Family update
20 hours ago