Saturday, March 13, 2010

Acorns and Worms and Grubs

I cleared out the weeds in between the two beds in the corner yard. As I was ripping them out, I saw tons of little off white grubs and tiny, almost, clear worm like creatures. I'm assuming these are not good. I haven't seen any in the beds, just in the grass around and between them. I'm wondering how large of a problem these could turn out to be since I don't know exactly what they are.

I was amazed at how many of the acorns that fell from the large tree rooted in the path. Some of those suckers pierced right through the landscape fabric to the ground beneath. Actually, all of the weeds did. I'm thinking that weed block wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

BUT! While I was digging around for white grubbie things, I found two large earthworms which I promptly relocated to one of my beds. This was the first time I've ever seen worms in our ground so I was thrilled! Hopefully that means there may be some in those beds after all!

The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding the worms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I'm not thinking the grubs were baby worms. They looked too much like, well....grubs.

    I'll have to get out there tomorrow with the camera. They weren't as creepy as the massive grub last year that filled my palm, but they were a miniature version of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! Nothing better then finding fat little wrigglers in the garden; that means you're working toward good healthy soil!

    I hope you get a chance to take pictures of the grubs. I wonder if we have the same thing. I found a bunch today too. I have no idea if they're friend or foe. I'm not wondering if they're not a beetle grub of some kind since I found them in the rotting compost. Seems likely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, some worms are good, and if they're in the path, surely they're in the nice soft beds too? They're such a help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ribbit. Yay for worms and your garden! And today looks like a day for more seed starts.

    ReplyDelete