Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's Good To Be The King

Man, oh man, oh man have I missed going to fetch random dinner items from the garden. I honestly got so complacent with winter that I forgot how wonderful it is to need something and then walk outside. Especially herbs and the like that I'd never buy fresh at the store for having the knowledge that I'd never finish the bunch before it went bad.

Last week, my girlfriend for whom I helped fill her boxes came over and made me her fantastic Indian style chicken dish. It's beautiful isn't it?
I always joke with her that I don't like it. I don't. I don't like half of the things in it and I most certainly despise cilantro, but for some reason it all works well in the dish. I try to explain to her that I don't particularly like it, but I crave it and can't stop eating it. It's rather bizarre.

The fun garden end of it is that we needed an onion and I popped out back and grabbed one. Way too awesome. Then, tonight the kids wanted breakfast for dinner. It was on the tip of my tongue to say no just by reflex and then thought why not!? Waffle House and IHOP serve breakfast for dinner every day of the year. Why can't I? So I made them their breakfast and then went to the garden for myself and got some garlic, basil and onion and made an awesome omelet.
And forgot to take a picture of it until I was done. There's no way I would have gone to the store to buy the basil or the onion or the garlic just to make one omelet, but boy was it ever nice just to run outside and grab it.
It's surely good to be gardening again. The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Yum, breakfast for dinner!! That's what we had last night.

    It's funny how us gardeners tend to avoid making certain dishes if we can't get the ingredients from our garden storage or the garden. Who wants that store boughten junk?? Oh, its great the spring is on it's way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids' favorite dinner is when I'm too tired and make them "reverse breakfast"! And I LOVE cilantro LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a good looking dish. ;-) Ain't it great when you can bring some of the garden to your dinner table?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love breakfast for dinner every so often. And I agree, it is so nice to be able to go out and grab some herbs or an onion, or whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please share your friend's recipe. I know my husband would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to have breakfast for dinner often, but now rarely do it anymore for some reason.

    ReplyDelete