Friday, May 27, 2011

We Got Lucky

I know I speak for all when I say that Erin's film of her recent storm was beyond anything I could have imagined. The way she said it came out of the blue was frightening and winds just fierce. I just got finished reading her post when I remembered that storms were forcasted for our area. I checked the radar:
We're where the red exclamation point marker is. Keep in mind that it was bright sunshine without a hint of a storm when I checked. It came quick, it came fast, and it came like it had a purpose. I took a short film - not as dangerous as Erin's funnel cloud, but the wind is obvious. So is my attempt to correct the boy's grammar, but the way I rephrased the sentence...it worked so the point would have been lost on him.




We lost power, as obvious by the candles in the fireplace, yet negated by my awesome flash, but the boy immediately exclaimed, "Hey! The Nook has a light! Can I go get it and read?

Thank you, Power Outage.


The dog was just as frightened as the kids. Before the power went out, the dog was huddled in the bathroom with the girl. He didn't come out all night. It's a small bathroom. He's a big dog. It didn't work out well.


We came out unscathed, but it was amazing the damage around us. Trees were down everywhere. Thank goodness the trees that were down on my way to school were all dead trees and obliterated as they hit the ground, but this afternoon as I was coming home, I noticed damage I didn't see as I drove to school in the dark. People everywhere were gathering limbs. leaves and debris. I can not believe I missed seeing our neighbor's tree uprooted this morning:

The picture was taken from my drive way. It was a perfectly healthy. amazingly tall oak.


We got lucky; yes we did. The post I was working on when the power went out will have to wait for tomorrow. The morning will hopefully only come arond 6:00 AM tomorrow. Not early, but early enough. Sweet and safe gardening dreams.

19 comments:

  1. This is getting to be too much to handle. I think I'm going to quit reading blogs until the storm season is over :-(

    OK, you know I won't quit, but I'll still worry a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny, I ain' gonna lie. It was scary, but not as bad as Erin's obviously chunky and fast moving clouds. The power hadn't come on and it was still storming when it came time for the kids to go to bed, so we let them have a 'sleep over' together like they do on the weekends. They thought it was such an amazing treat they didn't make a peep about going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the exact same line of storms that hit us down here in middle Georgia as well. At least you got some rain out of it. It seems like all I get is wind and just enough rain to tease the plants. You are right about it coming out of no where though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wild stuff. Earthquakes bad, tornadoes worse. I'll stay out here. Thinking of all my gardening friends in harm's way with this wacky weather, hoping you're all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary! I hate winds like that. I'm glad you guys are okay. And I agree with AG---just READING about this scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you too! That's a scary radar picture, too! Love the dog in the bathroom, mine are the same way LOL! If I show this to Loch he will be asking for the Nook - he spent a few days with his flashlight reading! This year is so crazy, how did your garden fare? I hope everything bounces back, almost all of mine did, amazingly. Unbelievable that there are uprooted trees here yet my tomatoes are okay. I hadn't even realized the tornado damage in the midwest until yesterday since our power was out all week, I was amazed when I saw the tv footage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say I'm on the other side. I love storms. I caught the bug after being caught in a typhoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is getting crazy out there, isn't it, everyone.

    Erin, the boy loves the Nook. I must say it's a very good investment. We were only out of power for a few hours. I can't imagine days. I just got him a TON of Goosebumps books off of Ebay. I don't know, but I'm sure we'll have some duplicates. If the boy wants them I'll mail them to you!

    IG, as a kid I was petrified by any storm. Now they're fine as long as the tornado sirens stay silent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone else having problems with blogger allowing you to post on other's blogs? It keeps sending me back and back to the login screen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary storm! Glad you're all ok...what a shame about that oak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sad about your neighbor's Oak tree! They take so long to grow!

    Glad that all is well with your family! Did your garden make out OK?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garden seems fine - no casualties there. Everything's still pretty low to the ground.

    I'm just happy that the tree fell the way it did and not on their house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loch just started those! LOL, I had to take away his Wimpy Kid books, telling him he needed to "branch out" :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here is a zuke recipe, I know a lot of people have zucchini bread recipes, but I tried this one and it is good.

    http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-first-zucchini-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes. The weather is frightening these days isn't it. We are thinking we need to start getting ready for hurricane season in case it is a doozy. i am glad you all made it through unharmed...but the poor dog! Is he a Great Dane? (I have been saying for 10 years my next dog will be a dane, but I keep getting labradors. I guess because thy are good playmates for one another.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Kelly, he's a dane and the best dog we've ever had...even if he's a scardie-dog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowie! Your daughter might enjoy the Henry and Mudge book about the storm. Hope you don't have many more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We love Henry and Mudge! They've just about read them all, I think.

    ReplyDelete