Sunday, May 22, 2011

Garlic, Veggie Stands, Blueberries and Nancy Sinatra

Don't forget to post a link or send your zucchini/squash recipes to thecorneryard@ymail.com and then visit the page listed on the right sidebar. The recipes are adding up, but we're far from the 101 recipes advertised, but we can make it. Even if it's just a suggestion of a standard recipe to add it in. It's all good!

The girl came out to the garden with me this morning to pull the garlic. Turns out she's a master squash bug/egg detector, being at the right height to just peer under the leaves. She also gets supreme joy in yelling "BUG! BUG! BUG!!" Not only did we pull a slew of squash bugs and their eggs off, we also spotted a vine borrer moth. Seems like everything showed up early this year, but everything is growing strong, so I can't complain.

The garlic in the front bed (on the left in this picture) had bulbs 2-3 times the size of the other beds. Looks like that will be the variety and location for this year's planting...if I could remember what it was. They really look and smell great.

I hung all of the good sized ones to dry in the basement and let the boy take the rest and the squash/zucchini from this week that I didn't pawn off on the babysitter last night outside to have his first veggie stand of the season.

He sold all of the squash in the bucket to one customer. He has his eye on some of the new Pirates of the Caribbean Lego sets that just came out. While we were sitting outside, we picked the blueberries and the boy kept chomping on handful after handful after handful.


When he offered me one, I looked in the bucket and saw it crawling with little pink worms. He didn't seem affected by it in attitude or health. Protein, right? ...no, seriously, right? Bad mom of the year award is coming my way.




Not to be outdone, last weekend the girl tried to do her best Nancy Sinatra impersonation. Her fuzzy sleek cow print dress, mod hair and Mommy's boots made the perfect ensemble.


Ignore the bandaid on the forehead. There was nothing wrong with her. I think her brother wanted to read a book without her and she started crying. Bandaids fix everything. So, then, does fuzzy cow dresses and boots made for walkin'. I see a future for her. Too bad she has her sights set on working for Waffle House.

The morning came at a decent hour this weekend - thanks to a babysitter who wore them slap out. Sweet gardening dreams.

13 comments:

  1. HA! I thought "Nancy" was wearing a head band.

    I just saw a recipe from Eggland's Best for a zucchini dish that looked pretty darned good. I'll see if I can find it again.

    Zucchini and Corn Omelet
    from Eggland's Best

    1 1/2 cups Zucchini, thinly sliced
    1 cup fresh Corn kernels ( or one 8 oz. can whole kernel corn, well drained)
    1/2 cup Sweet Red Peppers, chopped
    1/4 cup Onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    1/8 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
    1 tablespoon Water
    4 Large Eggland’s Best eggs
    1/4 cup Non-fat Milk
    1/4 cup (1 oz.) Low-fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese

    In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, combine vegetables, Italian seasoning, pepper, and water. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until crisp-tender.

    Thoroughly blend eggs and milk. Pour over vegetables. Cook over low heat until eggs are almost set. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil about 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted.

    Cut into wedges and serve from pan or slide from pan onto serving platter.

    Notes and Suggestions: Can be prepared as a frittata (as above) or as an omelet, with a flatter fold-over shape.

    Makes 4 servings

    Nutritional Facts: 1 Serving: Calories 137; Fat 5g (32.5% calories from fat); Protein 10g; Carbohydrate 13g; Dietary Fiber 2g; Cholesterol 177mg; Sodium 118mg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the first bugs on the tomatoes tonight! LOVE the veggie stand! Love the cow dress! I can't wait to pull the garlic, I planted my squash in there, they are only just sprouting, but I'm anxious to have nothing in there but squash when the bug battle begins. Time to go mix up some Dr. Bronner's soap in my spray bottle before sundown...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The garlic looks fantastic. I'll be pulling mine in about a month and a half give or take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High protein Blueberries!?!
    Maybe you're on to something......
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the vegetable stand idea. I might have to try that with my 4 year old daughter this year. What are you spraying to get rid of your squash vine borers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, you're gonna need another dining room for those legs...I can hear the girl now, hovering "bug"....Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. THanks, Granny! I posted the recipe.

    Erin, my garlic always comes up in November right after I plant it. It's just too warm here to get good sized bulbs, but it's worth it.

    Thanks, Daphne! I only grew them because of watching you with yours.

    Sue, I was mortified. Just mortified.

    Kris, there's nothing that I know of you can use to spray for the moths, just try to pick for the eggs and/or dig out the worms and hope for the best.

    EG, you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the kids that accidentally eat bugs/dirt/etc are the healthiest kids. You are strengthening his immune system. ;)

    LOVE "Nancy's" bandaid and cow dress combo..made me laugh out loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dangit, it's obvious the auto- correct feature on this phone really messed my comment up. That was supposed to be "legos" and "hollering"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tears are rolling down my cheeks after reading EG's posts! OMG, that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this post, it had so much to offer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regarding the girl - love the dress, love the attitude!

    Regarding the boy - let me know when he's having another veggie stand (especially if its on a Saturday). I love squash, garlic, and and that youngin'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garlic looks great, you can sure harvest early in the south!

    ReplyDelete