Monday, June 21, 2010

Harvest Monday!

The weather here has been just brutally hot and humid, so much that it's hard to go outside for ten minutes and not be dripping with sweat. The humidity is so oppressive that it's literally difficult to pull the thick, stagnant air into your lungs. Any garden activities need to be carried out early in the morning or later after the sun has gone down, however, when it's 85 right now at 9:15 PM, there's not much relief.

Yesterday morning the man came out to help me string a trellis for the side yard cucumbers that are just now sending out tendrils. Things tend to grow so slowly when it gets this hot...except for the zucchini who are loving life right now. I picked my first decent sized red tomato today! It's just beautiful. I'm not sure what the other little red ones are, but they're more like a glorified cherry tomato than a slicing variety. The major news on the tomato front is that I've got a Cherokee Purple that's ripening! It's just beautiful and I can't wait. It will either be ready tomorrow or the next day.

The key word for this week's harvest is, "Zucchini." Every day there's zucchini. Did I mention we've harvested zucchini this week? There was the monster bat from yesterday and wouldn't you know it that I found another one just like it today after I had already gone out there to pick zucchini this morning! I should tie the two together with some rope or chain or something and use them as nunchucks. "WWWWhhaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuahhhhh" (note me whipping around zucchini like a crazed warrior and most likely knocking my own self out, not coming close to hitting anyone else).

There's one missing picture here of a squash, six zucchinis, two baby tomatoes, dragon tongue beans and Kentucky Wonder pole beans. I had the camera out...I just never snapped the shot.

So, here are my harvests below. The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.
Photobucket

Stop by Daphne's to see what everyone else is harvesting!

25 comments:

  1. Crap, you've got zucchini running out your ears! I see ya got some crookneck in there too, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Including the ones not pictured, I picked about 28 zucchini this week alone!! I made zucchini salsa with some yesterday and it's pretty tasty over eggs. I got my first two crooknecks this week. I was so happy!! Seems like the eggplant has slowed down a lot, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to call that kind of heat "insti-sweat," cause that's what happens when you step outside...

    You and Granny with your swingin' veggies... LOL

    Nice harvest! The green beans are really big/long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I haven't grown zucchini yet... I am afraid I won't know what to do with them all! Especially with hubby gone, that makes just 1 adult to eat them - yes, I would be thinking of alternates uses like nunchucks too.... or perhaps covering them in shellac and using them to build myself an igloo-like structure...?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're dead on, Erin. However, it does give you enough to allow the kids to just go nuts with. Once it starts growing, it's one of those instant gratification crops as they mature in a matter of days, not weeks or months. The kids really enjoy measuring them and comparing the growth daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see much Zuchinni bread in your future! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. And dip and stirfry, and chocolate zucchini cake, and zucchini sticks and zucchini salsa and roasted zucchini and zucchini pancakes and so much more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, that's a ton of zucchini! It will be a couple of weeks before we have any here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zucchini numchuks?

    That does make an interesting image though I prefer the one of chocolate zucchini bread.

    Nice harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd heard such tales of zucchini excess that I put out just one plant. Now, I wish I'd put out more. What a nice problem to have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This overflow of zucchini really spells summer, doesn't it?

    I hope your weather cools down a bit and you get a little respite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow. I hope you have a potluck soon. You can bring zucchini casserole and zucchini bread. Hmm I wonder if zucchini makes a good pickle. I'd guess it does.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow zucchini zucchini zucchini. We're awaiting the flood but it will be a while to we get zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Daphne, zucchini makes a great Bread and Butter pickle, I still have a couple of jars left in the fridge from last year....

    Ribbit, how many zucchini plants do you have? I was in no rush to plant zucchini this year, my plants aren't even big enough to bloom yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those zucchini must be loving the heat! You've got the same weather we do. Last night at 10pm it was still 87. It almost takes your breath when it's that hot.

    It's nice to see red tomatoes, even if they are yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have four "hills" of zucchini, which is about 7 plants as it stands.

    Seriously, michelle! Bread and butter zucchini pickles? Do I make them the same way? Please advise...you've got my SERIOUS attention.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're WAAAAAY ahead of me down there in Georgia, but right along stride with my parents in Alabama. I've got 36 zucchini plants this year (mostly being grown for blossoms) but I can't wait for the inevitable glut.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 36 plants!?!! I'm drowning in less than ten.

    I've heard of eating the blossoms, but are they that fantastic to warrent thirty six plants?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zucchini nunchucks, now that would be worth video taping :-) Can't wait to see your CP tomatoes! My plant is just starting to grow now, about 12" high.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're going to have to share some of these zucchini recipes as you make them. Some of them sound good! And I might need a new one...zucchini bread does get old you know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha, Zucchini Nunchucks.
    Love it.
    I still don't even have zucchini sprouts above ground yet (grrrrr). I poked around for my pre-sprouted seeds and I saw signs of life from at least one, guess I just have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  22. MMM! Your zucchini has me jealous! That is WAY more zucchini than I would be able to eat though!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just scrolling through your posts....you've got a serious zucchini theme going on. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do! It seems like it's the only thing that's producing in bulk. That's okay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I use my yellow, crookneck squash to make the best pickles. I bet zucchini would be good too.

    ReplyDelete