Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Frozen Squirrels

It was 18 degrees when we woke up this morning! The high was only 36. Seriously, people...this is Georgia, not Illinois. I suppose it's only so much of a shock because it was just 65-68 degrees just over a week ago. We slid into winter weather without so much as a bump in the road.


Of course, I haven't been keeping up with the weather so it caught me off guard. I should have harvested the remaining cabbage. I didn't. There's a head of broccoli I should have gotten to. I didn't. However, although the plants didn't get the time to rebound today, I don't think all will be too bad. I'm sure the broccoli will be fine and I'm thinking I can just take off the top layer of the cabbage and it will suffice as well.


Main reason for blogging today is that I had a run-in with a manic squirrel on my way home today. As we were driving home, I saw a squirrel in the distance taking his sweet time crossing the road. I was on a pig pass (back road) so I saw no reason not to stop and let him go on. The squirrel ever so placidly loped into the center of my lane, stood on his hind legs and actually tried to intimidate me. A 10 second standoff ensued before I said, "Seriously?" and proceeded to straddle him with caution. I had both kids in the car; imagine the wailing if I hit him in slow motion. In my rear view I could see him, turned around, giving me stink eye as I ventured on my way.


Listen, Mr. Squirrel. You don't scare me. I'm scrappy and have more experience.

*sigh* The nerve of some squirrels. ;)
On a Keychains for a Cause note, I was very nicely corrected by a prospective customer that uterine cancer ribbon was peach instead of the color I had listed. One of the problems I encountered when setting up the Keychains site was the amount of conflicting information out there and I'm thrilled the woman thought enough to correct me. Not only will I gratefully fix the error, but look out for peach keychains coming soon!
Today saw the delivery of three Duke keychains and one motorcycle awareness keychain.

Keep us in mind for your holiday shopping! Keychains mail out within 24 hours of your order.

The morning comes early. Sweet warm gardening dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Damn, when I read the title of this post I thought you had started a catering operation. Frozen squirrels for a cause? I'll take a dozen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, I did wonder if that's why he was moving so slow. It was pretty fridged out there and he looked all the worse for wear. I suppose I should be impressed that he tried to sweat me considering his given state.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those in the south are having colder temps than they should right now. I hope things warm up for you soon.

    I think squirrels get bored and like to live dangerously. They tease our dog, and try to pick fights with me by chattering at me when I sit or work outside. I can see them standing in the road, challenging my car, like that one did to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, maybe just his brain was frozen. Squirrels don't know how small they are. They're like the Jack Russell Terriers of the wild kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, the nerve of those squirrels. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy coldness. The squirrels are delirious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, it's usually turtles in my neck of the woods (or beach)! This weather is crazy, my garden looks like napalm was dropped on it! One day I was in a tshirt washing my car, a week later it snowed! Didn't stick of course, but has been in the 20's-30's ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plus you were in a tank compared to him. That never hurts.

    ReplyDelete