Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Film of the Garden

This, my friends, was almost an episode in futility. I almost thought this was pointless after all those pictures I posted yesterday. Not much has changed and it felt a bit redundant. The first time I tried to film, I caught two Japanese beetles "enjoying each other's company" a bit too much, so I had to stop filming to squish them. Then, we did the entire thing again and found two more otherwise engaged beetles. I would have left well enough alone except when I tried to knock them in a cup, one jumped directly into my eye and I screamed like a girl. Can't be having that now, can we?

So, we try again for the third time.

A word on the cucumbers. I picked some off the vine this morning. When I made the second film I took off some in the side box and when I went back for the third film there were even more that I hadn't seen before. When I went back just now after supper, there was ANOTHER one in the main box. All in all, I picked 11 cucumbers today. That means...more pickles! I tried to do some dill ones, so we'll see how they turned out. I've still got four left, but my neighbor should be coming by to get those as I've got some that need to come off the vine in a day or two.

Then there's that monster zucchini from the film. I can't believe it hasn't bloomed yet. It should bloom tomorrow. I sure hope it gets fatter and not longer!

Anyway, enjoy the film.

The morning comes early. Sweet cucumber dreams.

22 comments:

  1. OMGosh, I love you and Gibson! You're hilarious!! And you sound just like EG!!! And you are a SUPERgardener!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me rolling when you found all those cucumbers! HA! Great video.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video! Wow your garden looks soo good Ribbit!

    We're way behind you in the season... a RED tomato... OK... I have tomato ENVY! What variety is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If pictures speak a thousand words, video speaks a million...

    I bet your cucumber plant likes the vibrations from your a/c unit. Soothes the plant's soul, ya' know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so funny, I love your videos! You're beating EG in the humor category, gotta love it. You're a natural commenator!

    Your garden has grown so much in such a short time, especially the back yard where you were so worried about sun exposure!

    All those cukes are a good problem to have. I had about two dozen when we did dills last year, made 16 quarts to share. Gotta love it.

    Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Granny!

    I don't know if EG'd like to hear that I sound like him. :) He pegged me as an original yankee from the first film. I've been down here 30 years or so and he still heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liisa, I tell you, I couldn't have been more shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, Toni, there's a secret to those tomatoes. I planted them WAY WAY WAY too early. I moved the one in the pot into the garage whenever it got too cold and there were a couple of times I had to throw straw, plastic and buckets on top of the one in the back yard. The potted one wasn't too much of a hassle, but I think I'll wait on the ones in the back yard for next year.

    The one in back is a Roma, but I'm not sure what the one in front is anymore. It's a bush-whateveritis variety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Momma_S, it's all about using all the possible space you can, right!

    Actually, it's really hot around that unit. Trapped between the unit and the wall, it's no wonder they droop, but by 5:00 PM or so they're back to their perky selves, so I'm not too worried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, Sinfonian, I really think the shade is doing me some good with the June and July heat and humidity. I was worried for no reason. I suppose it's proof that you don't need full sun, just strong sun when you have it, to do well. Full sun would probably make everything look like that side box. Not pretty to look at during the day, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I was as excited as you were when you found all of those cukes! I love your videos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ribbit, do you mind telling me where you are in Ga? I'm in Savannah, and my garden looks a lot like yours (well, mine's not in raised beds.) his is my first year trying too. Just wanted to make a new gardening friend... my friends think I'm turning into Farmer Joe! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll tell you what, gumshoe, I didn't know what to do with myself!

    Hi Jamie! Thanks for stopping by. We're in Winder, Ga which is about 30 min NE of Atlanta and 30 min SW of Athens.

    Actually, we used to live down your way in Hinesville for a few years. We came to Savanah for civilization a few times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. definitely a yankee....ha. Gosh, your stuff is doing fantastic! Better get to making pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. See Granny,

    Told ya.

    :)

    EG, I made three jars yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nah, I'm sure you and EG are conjoined twins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ribbit - my cucs are starting to come in, but not all at once. I'll make pickles in a few weeks, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your video!! Have not read your blog in a while since....I have missed the joy I get from your blog. Andy (my man) had a albino zucchini come out of his garden over the weekend. Take care and enjoy the summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seriously!! An albino zucchini? Very cool. I'd love to see either pictures of it or the man's whole garden. Hope you guys are enjoying your vacation. Can you believe it's already mid June!?

    ReplyDelete