Monday, June 22, 2009

Gorgonzola, Beans and Peppers

I took a bunch of pictures today, but instead of overloading you in one huge post, I figured to break them up in to short segments for each day, barring any unforeseen garden drama.

I've updated the total harvest on the sidebar to show the last two day's picking. I can't believe that cucumber and zucchini total.

Tonight we had the green beans that we've picked over the last few days. We just love the Fortex beans, but wish we had more of them. Those vines just weren't as vigorous as we would have liked them to be.

We also had Golden Gorgonzola Potatoes. I had no idea what Gorgonzola tasted like to begin with, but MAN were they good. The recipe came from the potato's bag, so I was a bit skeptical. The man and I both liked it. The girl wouldn't touch it. Then again, she doesn't eat much of anything. The boy is still working on his dinner. He's been working on it for almost an hour now. That's getting old.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it. I highly recommend it.

Ingredients

2 pounds gold potatoes peeled and cut into thin slices

Water -enough to cover

1 cup Alfredo sauce (I used more)

1/2 cup French-fried onions (divided)

1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (I used a bit more)

2 tablespoons garlic butter (I used garlic Alfredo sauce and regular butter)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Steps

In a large saucepan, place potatoes and water. Bring to boiling; then boil three minutes.

In large bowl, combine Alfredo sauce, 1/4 cup fried onions, cheese, garlic butter and salt.

Drain potatoes and gently stir into cheese mixture. Spoon mixture into baking dish and top with remaining fried onions.

Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Again, very, very good.

Anyway, for today I put pictures of the Cayenne peppers which are turning red. It seems to have taken these incredibly long to do so, but they sure are pretty. These will be a nice color addition to the pepper sauce I've been making. I'm not thrilled with hot, spicy things and I don't know if I'll grow this again since I won't use them in anything but the pepper sauce, but again, they sure are pretty.

The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

12 comments:

  1. That looks like a yummy recipe. And the peppers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that's alot of cucumbers! Pickles, pickles, pickles.....mmm. Your garden sure is doing well this year, and I'm really happy for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person who overloads you in one huge post thinks your peppers are very pretty, but she doesn't much like cheese ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to read your post real quick before heading to bed, and now my tummy is rumbling! I *love* Gorgonzola. And Alfredo, and potatoes, and fried onions, and... ;-)

    Those peppers are awesome! We ate our first Green Fresno Chili's (mild-med heat) yesterday, but THOSE look HOT! Oh man, I'm wiping drool off my chin...

    Looking forward to more pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn Ann, I was totally amazed at how good the potatoes were!

    ReplyDelete
  6. EG, it is a lot of cucumbers! We've given so many away, but they've come in very handy for all of the veggie plates I've had to make for visitors recently. As a matter of fact, I've got another I have to make today! I know we payed a ton up front to start the boxes and the costs aren't offset yet, but in the long, long run, it's going to be a great money saver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny, you're the ultimate cheese. :) Just not that super stinky sort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Momma_S, you've got to try it. I'd never had that cheese before, but if you like it, the recipe is amazing. It just took so long to peel those potatoes, but it was worth it in the end.

    You know, I can't stand anything with even a little heat to it. I grew these because they were pretty and now don't know what to do with them. I've been giving them to neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ribbit! Great harvest! Great idea on the veggie plates. I might do that.

    I am growing Cayenne peppers for the only reason that you can use them to drive away mice. They said to take the seeds and spread them near any food that mice would get into (like a Bisquick box) and that would keep them at bay. Now, I haven't used this method yet but I thought, why not! Then you dont have to worry about the toxic fumes.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen peppers in decorative jars with garlic & olive oil... Maybe you could do something like that as a gift or your own decoration? The oil would even be really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JenGC, that's a great idea! We used to have field mice in the old house. They came in from the field and through the dog door. We still live by a field and see them in the woods around us, but thankfully they haven't gotten in the house yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Momma_S, I had thought of that, but someone on here left me a comment that garlic in a sealed container was not a good idea because of the pathogens it either harbors or releases or whatever it is....I'll have to look into it more thoroughly, but I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete