Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Corn is Falling! The Corn is Falling!

A little afternoon rain shower blew through here a few days ago. This wasn't the storm that flattened my zucchini bush, which stood itself back up by the way. This rain shower wasn't even a storm as much as a light rain with soft breezes. I didn't think much of it. When I went outside the next morning, all of the corn in the container was leaned over. Now, I'm assuming that it was the rain shower, but it could very easily have been the rogue neighborhood cat whom I've found batting the hanging leaves of the corn as if they were feathers on a string. I wonder if that cat got too overly excited and either lost its balance leaping for a leaf or if it just went into sheer manic mode and flung itself headlong into the corn.

I had to find a way to stand it upright again, so until I come up with a better idea, I just used two sticks I had in the garage and some twine. The only problem is, is that now the stalks are so close together, I wonder if they'll have the space to produce ears. I really need another stick to make a triangle so they're not touching. Maybe, since it's been about a week, maybe it has mended itself and will stand upright by itself again like the squash did. They didn't crack the stem when they leaned over, so in my ignorance of corn, this sounds like a feasible idea whether it really is or not.

Below is today's harvest. There's an additional cucumber I took to a friend's house today on a veggie platter this morning. I'm going to have to blanch and freeze these beans as well. I know we're not going to make it through all of those tomatoes, either. The boy just loved the yellow tomato. When he saw it, he took a sincerely shocked intake of breath His eyes popped wide, he put his hands by his mouth and said in breathless awe, "It's so beautiful," and then with dire certainty, "but I'm still not going to eat it."


That's quite alright. It's more for me that way. I'm thinking tonight we'll fry up that eggplant and some of the okra we picked yesterday.

Life is not too shabby in the gardening department.
The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.

16 comments:

  1. Granny want your tomatoes & EG's squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your corn looks so healthy-maybe it will straighten up. And wow-those tomatoes. If I knew where you lived, I'd steal them!!!!!!
    No, not really.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Go ahead, Sue and Granny! I had some yesterday that I thought would only need one more day and three of them got worms in them last night. I almost screamed. Actually, I just took four tomatoes over to my neighbor. We'll never eat that many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Granny wants squash.....Man, your garden is doing so much better this year! That is a nice presentation on the harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, EG, that's just my "pickin' basket." Any ideas on what to do with that corn?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like the corn is hugging. I bet it would be fine like that, it would just make room for the ears all by itself.

    I like the quote from the boy. Smart one -- leave it for the gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonight we dined on zucchini and eggplant with roasted chicken. Yummm...they were excellent. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazed kitty corn killer! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could try removing the string from the corn and give 'em a wiggle to see if they stiffened back up, then maybe find a 3rd or 4th stake and run the string loosely around them -just in case...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Dan! We're lucky to get something like this every other to third day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, I may just do that and if I can't find another post, I'll leave it and hope that you, Stefaneener, are correct.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you liked it, Mom. The same thing is on our menu for tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just Jen, if it was the psycho cat, I'm just disapointed I didn't get to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! How did you prepare your eggplant?

    Those tomatoes look so yummy... what a wonderful harvest!

    I do hope that your corn is OK! I have 3 4x4 beds filled with different types of corn. I'm going to surround them with a PVC railing... or something. But right now... all my corn is just little...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Toni, I'd certainly do some PVC for the corn. They get so top heavy.

    We've done eggplant many different ways. We bread them with bread crumbs and fry them, we've put them sauteed in pasta and we've actually thrown them in with some scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete