Here is my 16 hole template that I painted to help protect it from the elements.
I decided to plant three sqft each of orange, purple and white carrots in this bed. I'll plant more in two weeks in another bed. I used a pencil to tap a small depression, put in one to two seeds per depression and topped it off with vermiculite to make it easier for the seedlings to sprout through.
You can see, now that I've finished my three rows, how nicely they're spaced out even without the grid!
Looks like I got a bit heavy handed with the vermiculite towards the end, but it will do. We seem to be in for a good 10 days so I figured to go ahead and get these in the ground now when there's only one day that looks rainy in the next 10, which is unheard of around here recently. My spring carrots didn't do anything for me much last year, but the fall ones did relatively well. I'm hopeful this spring's carrots will do a little better.
I also planted two, three sqft each, rows of each french breakfast and a red radish. Tomorrow I'm putting in a row each of the black and German radishes. I'll do subsequent rows of these in two weeks as well.
It's just so good to have things in the ground again!
The morning comes early. Sweet gardening dreams.