Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Not That It's Going to Grow, But.....

I had blank spots in the garden. I hate blank spots.

I need to learn spots are blank for reasons.

The side yard, with a good deal of sun, was empty, so I transplanted some broccoli seedlings. I know these won't mature before frost, but I'm hopeful that if I cover them, they should work out. Hopeful....Ok, it's not going to happen, but it's green and it's there for now.

I also transplanted some lettuce hoping against hope (yet again) that the chupacabra in the back yard is gone. These went in on Saturday. Two are already gone, but the majority of the rest have been descimated since this picture was taken either by the incessant rain (we're getting 2-5 MORE inches tomorrow) or those blasted acorns that pulverize everything in their path. Lettuce, I'm afraid, is a spring crop for me.

I did manage to cook those zipper peas this weekend...okay, I didn't have enough zipper peas (the green ones) to cook on their own so I threw them in with some field peas, but they weren't so bad. You could tell the difference in the taste between the two, the zipper peas were more buttery in texture, but they were good none the less.

Hopefully the rain won't cause any more severe flooding like what we just got done with. My fingers are crossed.

11 comments:

  1. What are you gonna cover them with? Maybe a milk jug would work for a little bit? Till they got too big...
    You don't get Acorns every year do you? We only got ours for the first time this year and this is our third fall here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That broccoli box is the perfect spot to build a makeshift greenhouse...I mean, it's up against a wall, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn Ann, I haven't worked that out quite yet, but it's an easy bed to cover. Yes, we get acorns in abundance each year. The trees, however, are very old growth trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, EG. That, and it's my only long straight bed, so I should be able to do something with it. I just need to work around HOA rules.

    Stupid HOA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you broccoli fares better than mine...I have heads forming but worms all over the place, and 5 inches of rain expected tomorrow....ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe something like the fold up-down sun shade on an old fashion babby buggy. John
    [url=http://thegardengalleries.org/v/Gardening/buggy.jpg.html][img]http://thegardengalleries.org/d/28780-2/buggy.jpg[/img][/url]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is the broccoli bed visible from the street? Maybe you could plant a bush between it and the street so the evil HOA couldn't see your makeshift greenhouse?? I planted broccoli the other day too and sadly I think yours have a better chance than mine - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck, Erin. Worms are staying away from the broccoli, but the falling acorns aren't so forgiving. I'm thinking fall gardening may need to be relegated to the side yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmm, John, you may be on to something. I could bolt it to the house (if the man approves) and it could roll up or roll down. Not too shabby of an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate, it's not truly visible from the street, but it's smack dab infront of the neighbor's driveway. Whatever it is, it will have to be tasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your broccoli crop should do well for you. You're far enough south that they should be able to take the temps. Putting them in good sun was a good idea, that is the main problem with fall planting is getting them enough sun.

    ReplyDelete