Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Several months ago, I was posting on the GA gardener forum of GardenWeb about my potted vegetables causing me grief. An incredibly helpful member suggested I try square foot gardening instead. I've spent the last few months reading up, planning and listening. I gathered all of the ammunition I could and finally convinced the man (since it would cover some of his coveted grass in the dog-lot...I mean back yard)that this was what I wanted to do. I was a bit worried at first since the back yard is mostly a dog-lot and I don't think this is what is meant by "water frequently" but thank goodness they've left well enough alone.
We've made the boxes small so the boy can get in there and participate since he was the one who started all of this "I want to be a garden man" stuff this summer.

We're growing romaine lettuce, brussel sprouts, broccoli, red cabbage, dill and leeks, with a few raddishes sprinkled in throughout.

I KNOW the tomato bush in the back doesn't have enough spacing, but when a four year old's life apparently hinges on having a tomato plant RIGHT THERE and in no other place, I let him put it there since it's so late in the year anyway, it's doubtful it will produce anything. Regardless, some slug came by and chewed the top flowers off anyway, so it's basically a gonner.





No comments:

Post a Comment